Seek Truth • Make Peace • Reverence Life

The Dominican Sisters of the Congregation
of the Most Holy Rosary, Adrian, Michigan,
also known as the Adrian Dominican Sisters

The Dominican Sisters of Adrian, Michigan, USA, trace their origin to Holy Cross Convent, Regensburg (Ratisbon), Bavaria, a convent established in 1233. In 1853 three sisters from this convent were sent to New York to provide religious education for German immigrant children. In 1869, a separate foundation was established at Newburgh, New York. From this congregation sisters were sent to St. Mary Parish (1879) and St. Joseph Parish (1880) in Adrian, Michigan. They were joined in 1884 by sisters sent to establish a hospital for injured railroad workers.

Adrian became a province of the Newburgh congregation, with Mother Camilla Madden as the provincial. Mother Camilla opened St. Joseph Academy in 1896 and St. Joseph College, now Siena Heights University, in 1919. Sisters from the province also staffed schools in Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, and New Mexico.

In 1923, the Adrian Province was canonically separated from Newburgh, and Mother Camilla became the first Mother General of the new Congregation until her death in 1924. She was succeeded by Mother Augustine Walsh. At this time the Congregation numbered 440 members.

Mother Augustine Walsh died in 1933 and was succeeded by Mother Gerald Barry. Along with education, the Congregation developed ministries in social service and opened three hospitals, two in Santa Cruz, California, (now consolidated at Dominican Santa Cruz Hospital) and St. Rose Dominican Hospital in Henderson, Nevada. Mother Gerald Barry also opened Barry College (now a thriving University) in 1940. The Congregation grew to over 2,000 members.

The Congregation extended its ministries to the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, and Peru. The Congregation also served in the formation of the Glenmary Sisters, originally located in Cincinnati, Ohio, and the Dominican Sisters of Our Lady of Remedies in Pampanga, the Philippines. The Adrian Dominican Sisters achieved pontifical status in 1944.

Mother Mary Genevieve Weber was elected during the Eighth General Chapter in 1962. Under her leadership, Maria Health Care Center and a new novitiate, Weber Hall, were built. She served until 1968, the General Chapter of Renewal. After that Chapter, a succession of Sisters served as Prioress of the Congregation: Sisters Rosemary Ferguson, Carol Johannes, Nadine Foley, Patricia Walter, Janet Capone and Donna Markham. Sister Attracta Kelly was elected Prioress of the Congregation in 2010, and will serve until 2016.

In response to Vatican II directives, the Congregation developed a new Constitution, approved on April 29, 1989. The Constitution incorporated a new government based on Mission Chapters (equivalent to provinces) headed by Chapter Prioresses (provincials). The latter, with the General Council, constitute a Leadership Council who direct the mission of the Congregation.

In 2002, after a three-year process of exploration and consultation, the Dominican Sisters of Edmonds, Washington, numbering about 60, voted to merge with the Dominican Sisters of Adrian. The merger was completed in 2003.

On November 20, 2011, the Feast of Our Lady of Remedies, the Dominican Sisters of Our Lady of Remedies, Pampanga, Philippines, merged with the Adrian Dominican Congregation. The new members of the Congregation, numbering 36 professed Sisters and one novice as of that date, formed the Congregation's eighth Mission Chapter, Our Lady of Remedies, and continue their current ministries. In April 2012, Sister Zenaida S. Nacpil, OP, was elected Chapter Prioress of the new Our Lady of Remedies Mission Chapter.

Today the Adrian Dominican Sisters number about 775. They serve as teachers, doctors, lawyers, healthcare professionals, social workers, university presidents, hospital administrators, liturgical artists, diocesan directors of schools and religious education, serving across the U.S. and in Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic. The Sisters in the Our Lady of Remedies Chapter also serve in Norway and Taiwan, as well as in the Philippines. The Congregation currently sponsors two universities, a healthcare system to which its four hospitals belong, one long-term healthcare facility,an elementary school, a high school, and six literacy centers.

 Associate Life consists of more than 200 women and men who, after a period of formation, associate with the vowed members for their own spiritual growth and support in their ministries, under the inspiration of the Dominican tradition. Associate Mary Lach serves as Director of Associate Life.